Board of Planning & Adjustment

Effective October 18, 2009 the Town of Tryon Planning & Zoning Board and Board of Adjustment were combined into one board called the Tryon Board of Planning & Adjustment. The Town of Tryon’s Planning & Adjustment Board acts in an advisory capacity to the Town Council on planning, zoning, and subdividsion matters in the Tryon town limits and within the town’s one mile extraterritorial jurisdiction.

The Board will consist of seven (7) members and two (2) alternates; four (4) of the members and one (1) alternate shall be residents of the Town of Tryon and appointed by the Town Board of Commissioners, and three (3) members and one (1) alternate shall be residents of the extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) of Tryon and appointed by the Polk County Board of Commissioners.

The Board meets in the Tryon Town Hall McCown Room on the second Thursday of each month at 3:00 PM, and all meetings are open to the public. If you wish to be included on the agenda of a particular meeting, please submit your request along with all applicable documents at least fifteen (15) business days prior to a scheduled meeting.

Board Members:

John Walters – Chairman
Daniel Gerst
Warren Carson
Sara Helmkamp
Al Alberto
Wanda May (Alternate)
Luis Ebratt (Alternate)

Crys Armbrust (Tryon Board of Commissioners Liaison)

Zoning permits are required for construction projects, business openings, changes in land or building use, and the erection of any sign.  Zoning permits are issued at Town Hall and must be obtained before applying for a building permit.  For a list of fees, click here.  Information regarding zoning issues is available by contacting the Town Hall at 828.859.6655.

Polk County Building Inspection Department provides all building permit information and building inspection services for properties in Polk County, North Carolina, including those within the Town of Tryon.

The Town of Tryon owns Lake Lanier in South Carolina and has established a set of “Regulations and Restrictions Governing the Use of the Lake Bed of Lake Lanier.”  Prior to any construction or modification of a dock, boathouse, or any structure over the water of Lake Lanier, a lake encroachment permit must be obtained from the Town of Tryon, and then a building permit must be obtained from Greenville County, SC (Codes Enforcement Ph# 864.467.7016) and a copy of such building permit must be delivered to the Town of Tryon.

Please note – zoning permits (or, in the case of Lake Lanier, lake encroachment permits) obtained from the Town do not exclude or excuse parties from obtaining, and properly displaying, permits required by the Polk County or Greenville County building inspector.

Town of Tryon’s Zoning Ordinance
Zoning Map
Regulations and Restrictions Governing the Use of the Lake Bed of Lake Lanier

Map of the “Narrows” of Lake Lanier


Applying for Permits:

Zoning Permit Application
Land Development Application
Lake Lanier Encroachment Application
Site Plan Checklist

Tryon’s Land Use Plan – adopted June 2022

Complaints & Issues:

What if you have a complaint about an issue relating to zoning? You’ll need to submit a complaint notice so that the allegation can be investigated.

File a Complaint Report

What if what you want to do isn’t permitted by the Zoning Ordinance or you need to request a change that is specific to your project? You’ll need to submit a variance request which will be heard by the Board of Adjustment.

Variance Application

If your permit is denied at the staff level you may appeal the decision of the Zoning Administrator by filling out the appeal form below.

Appeal Application

From time to time the Town may consider rezoning of particular properties. Public hearings will be held so that citizens can provide their input prior to a decision being rendered. If you object to such a rezoning, a petition form can be found below for your use.

Protest Petition 

*Forms can be dropped off at the Town Hall or emailed.*

While certain requests can be approved at the staff level, other permits require approval of the Planning and Board of Adjustment.