Site icon Town of Tryon, NC


How do I pay my utility bill?
Customers may make payments by mail (Tryon Town Hall, 301 North Trade Street, Tryon, NC 28782), in person at the Town Hall (9am – 4 pm, Monday through Friday) or paid online by clicking here. Payments can be made using cash, checks, money orders, bank drafts (click here for our bank draft authorization– requires voided check from your account) or credit/debit card (Note- Customers using online banking should allow time for the bank to print and mail payments to us before the 15th).  We are no longer taking payments by phone at the Town Hall, you must call 855-497-1082 for pay by phone. There is a depository located on the front of the building at the top of the steps facing North Trade Street. Payments made after 4:00 pm, on holidays, or on weekends will be credited on the next business day.

What forms of payment are accepted?
Payments can be made using cash, checks, money orders, bank drafts and debit/credit cards. Please do not mail cash.

How often will I receive a bill?
Utility bills go out once a month, usually on the 20th.

How are rates set?
Utility rates are set by the Town Council.

How do I obtain service for a new account?
Service may be obtained in person at Town Hall. A deposit of $100 for residential service and $150 for commercial service must be paid before service can be provided. Requests received prior to 2:00 pm can generally be connected the same day.  Visit our Forms page for the Water Service Application.

What if I move?
You should notify the billing department and advise them of the effective date (date for disconnection) and your forwarding address. We will read the meter and mail your final bill. There is no fee to turn off the water.

When is my bill due?
Bills are due by 5:00 pm on the 15th of each month.  Any bills not paid by the 15th will be considered past due.  If the 15th and/or 16th of any given month falls on a day the Town Hall is not open, the due date and past due date will be the next day of operation.  A late fee of $15 will be added to the bill due.

All customers who become 10 days delinquent in paying their accounts will be assessed  a $25 administrative fee in addition to the billed amount due.  If the bill is not paid by the 25th of the month, the water will be automatically turned off with no further notice at 9:00 AM on the 26th.

What if my water is turned off?
If your service is disconnected for nonpayment, the account balance plus the reconnect fee  must be paid in full before service can be restored.  To reconnect service, the customer must pay a reconnect fee ($75 turned on before 5pm, $100 to turn on after 5pm) plus ALL unpaid fees and delinquent bills.

What if I do not agree with the usage or have a high bill?
Contact the Town Hall with concerns of usage, we will send a technician out to verify that the reading is correct and to check for possible leaks. You will be contacted and advised of what we find. If you locate a leak and have it repaired, you may request a Leak Adjustment. If there is no leak, you will be responsible for the bill.

If you cannot pay your bill in full, payment arrangements can be arranged. If you do not agree with bill, you will have to speak with the Public Works Director.  Any customer who comes into the Town Hall before their service is disconnected may request a payment agreement, the issuance and terms of which shall be in the discretion of the Town Manager.  Payment agreements must be signed by both the customer and the Town Manager.  After the second failure to comply with the terms of a payment agreement, the customer’s water will be automatically turned off with no further notice and all fees and delinquent bills must be paid in full before service will be resumed.

What is my trash day?
Click here to see what days your roadside garbage will be picked up.  For more information on Garbage collection, click here.

What is the difference between the green and blue recycling containers?
There is no difference, as long as you separate your recyclables. Glass/Plastics 1 & 2/Cans in one container and paper/cardboard in the other.

How can I report a pothole or other street problem?
To report a pothole or other issue with a Tryon street, you can contact the Town Hall at 828.859.6656 or email us a work order request by clicking here.  For streets/roads outside the Tryon town limits, you can use the NCDOT contact form by clicking here.

Can I pour cooking grease down the drain?
Never pour grease, fats or grease down sinks or toilets, this can lead to line blockages or Sewer System Overflows. Click here to read information from the town Sewer Department concerning this.

What does it cost to rent the Harmon Field facilities?
Click here for the Harmon Field facilities rate schedule.

How do I obtain an address for a new property or verify an existing address within the Town of Tryon?
To obtain a new address, contact the Addressing Department at the Polk County Addressing Department at the County Planning & Zoning office in Columbus, NC, Telephone 828.894.2731.  The County Planning & Zoning office handles the 911 addressing for the Town of Tryon.  To verify an existing address, please contact Tryon Town Hall at 828.859.9566.

Who do I contact for drainage complaints?
For drainage issues within the Town of Tryon, please contact the Public Works Department at 828.859.6654.  Outside of the town city limits, please contact the DOT Division of Highways at 828.894.8980.

Who do I contact for Property complaints such as unkempt property or broken down vehicles or trash?
Please contact the Planning Director at Town Hall, 828.859.6654.

Who do I call if I find an abandoned dog or cat or see an animal abuse case?
Please contact Polk County Animal Control at 828.894.3001 for all animal abuse cases.  For abandoned or missing animals, contact Foothills Humane Society at 828.863.4444.

For additional information or questions, please contact the Utilities Department at 828.859.6655. You can also email your questions to:

Exit mobile version